[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 04:20:44 PST 2015

SuStel:
> So while a strictly by-the-book analysis of {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} would be
> thus:
>
> Hegh    someone dies
> -qang   subject is willing to perform action
> -moH    subject causes something to change
> -lu'    subject is indefinite
> -pu'    action is complete
>
> "something indefinite was willing to cause him to die"
>
> perhaps what we're really seeing is this:
>
> Hegh    someone dies
> -qang   subject OR agent is willing to perform action
> -moH    subject causes something to change
> -lu'    subject is indefinite
> -pu'    action is complete
>
> "something indefinite was willing to cause him to die" OR
> "something indefinite caused him to be willing to die"

Prior to seeing the sentences from the paq'batlh, I'd have been
inclined to view the fact that {-qang} apparently expresses
willingness on the part of the agent (rather than the subject) here as
a consequence of the suffix {-lu'}, not the suffix {-moH} (or perhaps
it is a consequence of a combination of {-moH} and {-lu'} together,
but in any case not just of {-moH} alone).

But, based on the paq'batlh, we can apparently write the following:
{qeylIS SuvqangmoH molor} "Molor makes Kahless willing to fight" *or*
"Molor is willing to make Kahless fight"

I wonder if we can use our old friend {-'e'} to differentiate these two cases:
{qeylIS SuvqangmoH molor'e'} "Molor is willing to make Kahless fight",
"It is Molor who is willing to cause Kahless to fight"
{qeylIS'e' SuvqangmoH molor} "Molor makes Kahless willing to fight",
"It is Kahless whom Molor makes willing to fight"

Also, what if we want to specify the person whom Kahless fights on
account of Molor?
{qeylISvaD loDnI'Daj SuvqangmoH molor} "Molor makes Kahless willing to
fight his brother" (???)