[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:01:56 PST 2015

SuStel:
> But this doesn't tell us the general applicability of {-choH}. Generally, it
> means that somewhere, somehow related to this verb, there is a change of
> state. Maybe it's a change in the action, maybe it's a change in the
> subject, maybe it's a change in the object. Maybe it's a change in something
> else. TKD doesn't say it's any particular combination of these, just that
> "the action described by the verb involves a change OF SOME KIND from the
> state of affairs that existed before the action took place." [...]
>
> Notice that in {Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam} "this helmet suits you" YOU are changed
> during the action but the helmet is not. Sure, you put on the helmet and it
> is now worn, but the sentence isn't about a helmet being worn, it's about
> what the helmet does to you.

Other examples of {-choHmoH} from TKD:

{maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'} "may we execute a course (to some place)?"
{nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH} "Where can I get my shoes cleaned?"

The first example is interesting because {ghoS} has no object. We keep
talking about how weird/complex the grammar is when the root verb has
an object, that we sometimes forget {-moH} can also be applied when
the root verb has no object. It only requires that the subject is
causing a change.

(Are there other examples of {-choHmoH} in canon?)

Also, while we're at it, here's {-moHlaH} from TKD:

{wIchenmoHlaH} "we can create it"
{chenHa'moHlaH} "it can destroy them"

There's also this from the startrek.klingon newsgroup (Feb. 23, 1998):

{vIchenqa'moH} "I make it again"