[Tlhingan-hol] Prospero año nuevo

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:16:34 PST 2015

majQa’. There’s nothing really wrong with what you’ve said, assuming that people can deal with {DIS chu’} as a time stamp.

The original Spanish is a lot like the English “Happy New Year”. It’s not a complete sentence, but hey, we know what it means, right? There’s a cultural element in our understanding of the sentence fragment. Do Klingons have that cultural element? We don’t know.

So, it’s safer to try to say the whole meaning, which is what you’ve tried to do with success.

Other suggestions:

You might consider the word {nem}, which means “year(s) from now”. We say “New year” when what we really mean is “the whole span of the year going into the future from here”. So, we could get very literal and say {qaStaHvIS wa’ nem Suchepjaj.}

Or you could dig deeper and suggest:

SuchepmeH ‘eb Dunobjaj nemvam.

“May this next year give you opportunities to be prosperous!”

In other words, prosperity shouldn’t just passively happen to you. You should have to get up and DO something for it. You should respond to opportunity. In fact, you should already be hunting for it. All you need is opportunity. You’ll take care of the rest.

That’s a shade of what I suspect Klingon culture might offer differently than human culture.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv