[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:49:27 PST 2015

I believe you to be correct in everything you say here.

And I hate it.

I hate it because it is so radically different from anything Okrand has explained in TKD or any other setting revealed to us. He gives us no reason to interpret {QeD vIghojmoH} as anything except for “I cause science to learn.” Yet, he expects us to understand this to mean “I cause some unidentified entity to learn science.”

Meanwhile, if we say {Sor vImeQmoH}, that is NEVER supposed to be interpreted as “I cause some undetermined entity to burn tree.” The object of {vImeQmoH} is the thing that burns, while the object of {vIghojmoH} may or may not be the entity that learns. It also may or may not be the topic that the unidentified entity learns. And if the object is the topic that the entity learns and the entity that learns is also identified, then the entity doing the learning gets {-vaD} added. But if the topic being learned is NOT identified, the entity doing the learning does NOT get {-vaD} added.

And new people are supposed to figure that out without any explanation.

wejpuH.

jIb vIteqlaHbogh vIHutlhmo’ jIQuchnIS. ‘oyvetlh vIjun.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv