[Tlhingan-hol] 19 words to create

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 23:19:55 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' Andrew:
> Here are 19 words that Klingon is missing...
> Thoughts?

First off, let me also say welcome to the list, and I hope you'll hang around. It's always great to have new blood in the community.

Ironically, the email you sent to the list appears to be... er... missing from my inbox. I've only seen the portion of it that ghunchu'wI' has quoted in his response. My first thought would be as ghunchu'wI' says: it's always handy to have a good grasp on the extent of the vocabulary that *does* exist before coming to a decision about what seems to be "missing". Hell, even after 15 years of speaking this language I still have my moments. When I was translating the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I'd forgotten that {tIQ} "be ancient" even existed and had to be reminded of its existence.

Admittedly, this is without having even seen the list of 19 words you note, and I always find it interesting to take on a supposed lexical gap someone's found and see if
it's a true gap or just unfamiliarity. Usually it's the latter; the former are actually quite strikingly rare.

QeS 'utlh