[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Dec 19 17:31:12 PST 2015

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM, lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh
<lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I just focus on the gazillion other things that can be said clearly in Klingon and pretend this problem didn’t exist.

When you're "thinking in Klingon", the problem *doesn't* exist. It is
something you normally wouldn't even think of worrying about. It's
like the way we don't get frustrated in English trying to use simple
grammar to tell the difference between eating an apple 24 hours from
now in your own worldline but having it happen yesterday, and having
eaten an apple 24 hours ago but with the event taking place tomorrow.

If you want to be excruciatingly clear about being willing to cause
someone to die, you can say something like {ghaH vIHeghmoHmeH
jIvangqang}. That's not necessarily a circumlocution. It's likely to
be a perfectly natural and expected way to do things that the grammar
doesn't make trivially easy.

-- ghunchu'wI'