[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Holiday Card Challenge ANNOUNCEMENT

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 02:42:24 PST 2015

Karen Alessio:
> It is ridiculously simple, because I am really new at this.

Everyone starts somewhere. Those were perfectly good sentences
grammatically, majQa'!

Karen Alessio:
> peQuch! ( you pl, Be happy/merry)

'arHa:
> {peQuch} -> You've got this exactly right! Congratulations on finding the correct verb prefix!

There's a subtle point here, which is way advanced for a beginner.

>From Klingon for the Galactic Traveller p.117:
<Generally, when a verb describing a state of being (for example,
{tuj} "be hot") is used in the imperative form, the suffixes {-'egh}
(reflexive suffix) and {-moH} ("cause") are used as well:
{yItuj'eghmoH!} ("Heat yourself!" -- that is, "Cause yourself to be
hot!")>

In Klingon, you can't just command someone to "be happy". Something
has to be *done* to make that person happy.

Also, I have a suggestion which isn't about grammar but about what
message you want to convey to the recipient. Consider the suffix
{-jaj} instead of the imperative prefix. (I'm not saying the
imperative is wrong, just that whether to use it depends on what you
want to convey. Again, this is probably going a bit beyond what
beginners are expected to know.)