[Tlhingan-hol] Tlhingan-hol Digest, Vol 52, Issue 85

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 00:08:52 PST 2015

Have no fear, each of us started with "ridiculously simple" Klingon! I
remember well sitting with HoD Qanqor at qep'a' and it taking half an hour
for me to blurt out my first sentence. And now look at me!

{QISmaS 'oH} -> This is nearly right, and it is definitely understandable.
But instead you might try {qaStaH QISmaS}, which means "Christmas is
happening." In English sometimes we use a "dummy" subject (it) when talking
about something occurring ("It's Wednesday." "It's raining." "It's my
Birthday.") But in Klingon we don't really do this. We use {qaS} to talk
about something happening, often in the phrase {qaStaHvIS ...} "While it is
happening..."

{peQuch} -> You've got this exactly right! Congratulations on finding the
correct verb prefix!

Could you combine your two phrases into one, based on what I've just said?

Keep up the good work!
'arHa