[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:28:24 PST 2015

True floaters have a reason to modify “all that precedes them”, but suffixes with fixed positions have a problem with that idea, since their positions are defined by grammatical rule, rather than by semantical emphasis. Add that in cases of multiple fixed suffixes combined with the true floater, there still may be circumstances where the boundaries for what the floater is negating can get squishy.

Basically, I think it is dangerous to treat the application of a suffix like some kind of mathematical function with a precise answer for the scope of functionality of the suffix.

In math, we have the option of using parentheses to mark out the scope and priority in terms of the effects of math functions. In the Klingon language, we don’t have that.

So, if it is REALLY IMPORTANT TO YOU to control EXACTLY WHAT SOMETHING MEANS, just as in any natural language, it is good to use more words, and perhaps even multiple sentences in order to eliminate what you don’t mean and emphasize what you do mean.

A more general truth is that I have ideas and I try to express them in words using imperfect tools, and you read or hear the words and you try to figure out what my idea was, using imperfect tools, and most of the time, the imperfect communication works well enough, so we don’t worry about it too much.

When it doesn’t work so well, we continue to try to communicate until we either gain a better understanding, or until something in life distracts us SQUIRREL!

… enough that we forget what we were talking about and go eat lunch or something and life continues to give us other things to think about.

What was that middle thing?

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv