[Tlhingan-hol] Interactions between verb suffixes

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:09:09 PST 2015

regarding qunnoQ's sentence <luyu'nIS 'e' lulIj> in the thread KLBC:
Sentences as objects

ghunchu'wI' and SuStel: You have a difference in interpretation involving
multiple verb suffixes. Alan, that adding -pu' to yu'nIS completes the act
of needing to interrogate, and David, that since the interrogation did not
happen, there is no completion.

This reminds me of {jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH} "I need to wash my hair." Not "I
cause my hair to need to be clean." Clearly the suffixes don't act on what
precedes thus far; i.e., it's not formed by nesting like
[[[[[[[[[[verb]vs1]vs2]vs3]...]vs9]. Instead each of the suffixes acts on
the verb. Obviously the suffixes interact since they're modifying the same
verb, but the interaction must be without respect to precedence, since
precedence is established by grammar, not semantics. No matter how badly
you might want {-nIS} to modify {Say'moH}, it's a Type 2 prefix, so you
can't put it after a Type 4. (Though I wonder if "street Klingon" dialects
frequently turn verb+vs4 into a verb stem, as in the slang {qogh
vItuQmoHHa'}.)

My question, then, is what are some good references (canon examples, HolQeD
discussions, etc.) to study in order to better understand how meaning is
constructed from the interactions of multiple verb suffixes?

~'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/