[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "Which" and uses of question words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Dec 6 06:18:02 PST 2015

On 12/6/2015 2:47 AM, Rohan Fenwick wrote:
> We have no canon for {nuq} in noun-noun constructions, but I do think
> it's possible to say things like {nuq taj} "the knife of what?", which
> would parallel {'Iv taj} "whose knife?". Similarly, {taj nuq} would be
> "what of the knife?". To contrive an example, {voDleH nuq vItlhapnIS}
> would mean "what [thing] belonging to the emperor must I take?".

Actually we have a couple of canonical sentences that show that {nuq}
and {'Iv} can act like verbs in the same way that pronouns can, and
Okrand confirmed this in an MSN post that I don't seem to have archived.

    Dochvam nuq
    what is this thing?

    yIH nuq
    what is a tribble?

    jarlIj qaq nuq
    what is your favorite month?

I don't remember the {'Iv} example, if there was one.

http://www.trimboli.name/