[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: "Which" and uses of question words

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 02:50:04 PST 2015

'arHa:
> Additionally, can nuq and qatlh stand on their own as they do in {nuq 'ej
> qatlh HIja'}? My guess is that they can, but I am unsure.

Let's split up the {'ej} and look at what the two parts would mean,
individually.

{nuq HIja'} - This is a command to tell me something, but it's also a
question about what it is I'm commanding you to tell me. I wouldn't
know how to respond to that. The questioner sounds confused. Maybe
he's really asking one question and giving one command: {nuq choja'?
Dochvam HIja'chu'!}

{qatlh HIja'} - Again, this is both a command (tell me something) and
a question (why do I command you to tell me?). It's almost
contradictory, like the questioner both wants to know something and
isn't sure why it's something she should know.