[Tlhingan-hol] Religious terminology

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:25:00 PST 2015

qaQaHlaHmo’ jIbel ‘ach ghaytanHa’ <<-‘e’>> vIQIjta’.

The noun suffix {-‘e’} can be confusing and even controversial because it is used several different unrelated ways. It’s use in relative clauses to clarify which noun participates in both the relative and main clauses is one of the most straightforward, easy to understand uses. It’s also the most recent usage developed. I think it was invented on this mailing list and later approved by Okrand. I don’t think he came up with the idea.

The other clear-cut usage is with explicit subject nouns in “to be” sentences, like:

tlhIngan ghaH ‘avwI’’e’.

The guard is a Klingon.

We can guess about the reason that {-‘e’} is required for nouns in this position of this kind of sentence, but it doesn’t really matter. It’s just a rule. You have to follow it. Forever. Every time. Or, you’ve made a grammatical error. Don’t ask why. Just do it.

Meanwhile, the original purpose of {-‘e’} as a topic marker is the most controversial. The archives have the arguments to prove it.

My limited understanding of it is basically that you put it on a noun in the beginning of the sentence where other Type 5 suffixed nouns tend to go in order to mark a noun as, “Hey, listener! This is a really important noun that has something to do with the sentence that follows, but there’s no actual grammatical link between this noun and the structure of the sentence — like we know it’s not the subject or the object or any normal indirect object, or the location of anything, or any kind of time stamp for the sentence, but hey, don’t forget this noun because it’s really important.” Then you have a sentence.

So, if you have something like:

HoDpu'’e’ nIv Qanqor.

It basically means, “Krankor is superior (while you think about captains).” So, you might translate that is “Krankor is superior among captains.” Okrand explains this as a “topicalizer”, suggesting that you are presenting the topic of the sentence, but given some of the canon examples, there are those here who strongly believe that he picked the wrong word, even though he apparently picked the RIGHT word when he picked “perfective” for {-pu’}, even as his description of {-pu’} didn’t really convey what perfective apparently means.

It’s a messy world we live in. Inconsistent at times…

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be corrected on this, though...

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv