[Tlhingan-hol] Dick Jane je

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:42:19 PST 2015

Note that the Romanized alphabet we use for Klingon is not the writing system that Klingons use. We are only phonetically representing Klingon sounds when we write in Klingon. That’s why punctuation is not touched upon in TKD. We don’t know that Klingon writing actually has any punctuation.

Similarly, putting spaces between words is a convention that Okrand decided to use because it is so common in modern human languages, though that has not always been the case. So far as we know, allKlingonsentencesormaybeevenentireoperasareallwrittenwithnospaces.

So, the placement of spaces is somewhat arbitrary, especially when it comes to certain terms that always show up together. Okrand has chosen to make {wa'leS} and {wa’Hu’} single words combining the {leS} and {Hu’} with the number “1”. We also know that you can use other numbers with {leS} and {Hu’}, so it’s arbitrary whether you put the space between the number and the “days ago” or “days from now”.

It’s perfectly okay to include the space. It’s also widely accepted to omit it.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv