[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Dec 3 13:15:46 PST 2015

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:51 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> Anyway, what are "all those examples"?

I was referring to the ones you just posted.

I think you were using them in order to show that your common explanation of "habit" or "tendency" is not as ubiquitous as was intimated. They lack an aspect suffix, but they don't get translated the way TKD says to translate such verbs. They describe actions that are variously completed, ongoing, or merely potential. You gave what I consider reasonable contextual reasons for not using the otherwise appropriate suffixes, and it seems to me that those reasons essentially boil down to "the aspect idea isn't important there."

-- ghunchu'wI'