[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:59:21 PST 2015

Given that in years past, I had a knee-jerk negative reaction to your posts, and given that email does not convey emotion (or lack of emotion) effectively, I want to start by making it very clear that I’m older now and no longer feel anything negative about you or your opinions. I respect you. You’ve clearly put a lot more work into understanding the language in recent years than I have. Your opinion carries weight with me, and I’ve often found myself cheering you on when you weigh in on grammatical points on this list.

That said, I think that your accurate and thorough understanding of the difference between perfective and perfect is probably clearer than the actual use of {-pu’} and {-ta’} in canon or in general usage. The example that you give, {vaj Daleghpu’}, from ST3 does not imply that at the time context of the statement the completion of the action occurs. Kruge is recognizing that in the context of “now”, the action of Valkris’s seeing the Genesis Project has already been completed. Nobody is talking about any precise moment when that completion occurred, except to point from now into the vague past. Maybe she saw it half an hour ago. Maybe she saw it last year.

This is exactly what I’m suggesting.

I think that you would be right, if Klingon worked the way it says it is supposed to work, but in reality, I think it’s sloppier than that. I think that I would enjoy the higher level of temporal precision of speaking a language that behaves as you’d like Klingon to behave. I like anything that cleans up ambiguity and makes statements clearer.

But I don’t think Okrand or Paramount or even the people on this list actually speak a language that does that. I have been personally broken-hearted when I formed any of several theories about how Klingon is supposed to work, only to have Okrand screw it up by not being as consistent as I’d prefer that he was, but all my wishes were for naught. Okrand likes the idea of Klingon acting like a “natural” language, with all the implied imperfections.

I think that the perfective suffixes in Klingon have a problem in that they are NOT consistent about whether the completion of the action of the verb occurs DURING the period of time indicated by the time stamp or time context, or if that completion occurred BEFORE that time stamp or time context. I think it’s muddy.

Believe it or not, I will be as happy as you to discover otherwise. Greater precision is prettier. It gives the language an aesthetic beauty. Meanwhile, the actual language has rust, dust, and grit, and I think that {-pu’} and {-ta’} are among the dustier, grittier details of the language.

Yes, I have been confusing perfect and perfective. Meanwhile, I honestly think the language does the same.

I do appreciate the education you’ve offered to clarify the difference between perfect and perfective. You’ve improved my understanding of the concepts, though I’m uncertain that they apply to this language.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv