[Tlhingan-hol] Scope of Klingon Negation

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:12:37 PST 2015

These are good rewordings. Just to add more suggestions for valid ways to express the thought:

chaq chotIch, ‘ach jIQeHbe’.

or

chotIchchugh jISaHbe’. jIQeHbe’.

or simpler yet:

jIQeHbe’.

In the end, the statement is a negative response to the implied suggestion that you insulted me and that caused me to be angry. The implied suggestion may be that there is a causal link between you insulting me and me being angry, but my response is at its simplest: “I am not angry.”

That’s the nut. There is no cause for me being angry because, well, I’m not angry. So, using a causal dependent clause attached to the negative statement about being angry is not really expressing your meaning. Cause has nothing to do with your statement.

If I like, I can optionally point out that you have, in fact, insulted me, or I can make that less certain, that perhaps you have insulted me, or I can even make a stronger statement that I don’t care whether you have insulted me or not. But none of these need to be in the same sentence as “I’m not angry,” unless you are using {‘ach} to connect two independent clauses. The only real difference between “and” and “but” is that “and” connects two sentences, while “but” suggests, “Hey, the first sentence sets up an expectation that the second sentence refutes,” while it connects the two sentences.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv