[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 05:21:29 PST 2015

Thanks for the additional info, SuStel, and the interpretation of that
difference.

In Russian and many Southeast Asian language, which also have aspect (and
the latter usually don't have tense), it is possible to say something like
"I killed him, but didn't kill-him-to-the-end.", basically referring to an
attempted but failed murder. In the same way, it's possible to say "He was
dying, but didn't die.", meaning that the person or animal did survive
after all. That of course is possible in Klingon, too: {vIHoH(-taH), 'ach
vIHoHpu'be'.} (I'd use {-taH} or even {-lI'}, but am not 100% sure that it
has to be used here).

With "context time" I meant the relative time stated in the same sentence.
If {wa'Hu'} is included in the sentence, the killing was finished yesterday
(so it either happened before yesterday or yesterday before the exact time
the sentence refers to).

- André