[Tlhingan-hol] Aspect, etc

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 04:48:47 PST 2015

> ... which is pretty much indistinguishable in meaning to {targh vIHoHpu'.}

No. The meaning can be very different. Bear in mind that {-pu'} is not a
past tense marker, but perfective aspect, meaning that the action has
finished, is finished just now or will be finished in the future. While
{'opHu' targh vIHoH} can ONLY refer to a past event, your suggestion can be
interpreted as past, present, or future: {targh vIHoHpu'} = I had killed a
targ / I (just) killed a targ / I will have killed a targ. It merely says
that the targ-killing is finished, relative to the frame of reference (the
contextual time).

But the difference between {'opHu' targh vIHoHpu'} and {'opHu' targh vIHoH}
is minute if at all existing.

- André