[Tlhingan-hol] Beginners corner

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 14 11:30:30 PDT 2015

On 8/14/2015 9:57 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> ghItlhpu' Maxim, jatlh:
>
> jang De'vID, jatlh:
>
> jang je Voragh, jatlh:
>>> TIP: If you can't find a good noun, try rephrasing with a verb: *{tulHa'choH}.
>
> QeS:
>> petulHa''eghmoHchu' tlhIH, 'o 'elwI'pu'
>> "Cause yourselves to completely lose hope, O those who enter"
>
> Or you can abandon the idea of abandoning hope:
>
>    naDev 'elwI'pu''e', petultaHQo'!
>    Those who enter here, do not continue to hope!
>
> Or even simpler:
>
>    naDev petulQo'!
>    Don't hope here!

"Abandon hope" strongly implies a change of state from hope to
hopelessness; {-choH} is called for here. Also, though I don't speak
Italian, the phrase is commonly translated "abandon ALL hope" or "ALL
hope abandon," which suggests {-chu'} is useful.

petulHa'choHchu' naDev 'elwI'
here-enterers, begin to completely un-hope!

http://trimboli.name