[Tlhingan-hol] qep'a' report

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Aug 6 03:29:59 PDT 2015

Thanks Qov for this report, it gives the non-attendees to get some
information and get a short feeling of being at the qep'a' :-)

Am 05.08.2015 um 22:44 schrieb Robyn Stewart:
> There are Klingon lines that he wrote but that were not used in the
> previous Star Trek movie and he was unsure whether the NDA would allow
> him to reveal them to us.

Same for the 2009 movie: Okrand said that the lines were not in the
movie, so he would not give them.

> He explained again that some of the tlhIngan Hol in Into Darkness had to
> be created to match the lip movements of someone speaking already
> created Klingon lines, WITH THE VIDEO PLAYED BACKWARDS!

For those interested, here's some more information from an interview:
http://www.qephom.de/e/okrand_about_into_darkness.html

> He said that a leak could be said to be was the reason he was called in
> to rework the Vulcan lines for Star Trek II. Because the news of Spock’s
> death leaked, they inserted the scene at the beginning where he “dies”
> in the Kobayashi Maru scenario. That meant that in the next scene with
> Spock and Saavik, Saavik’s character had already met Kirk, so her line
> had to be changed. Enter Marc.

REally interesting, I hadn't heard that part of the story yet. On needs
to mention thought that that scene was first recorder in English, and
the vulcan was added later.

> informal hallway conversation. Note that this was a conversation with
> Marc, not matlh, so not canon.

Wehn Marc is not prepared for grammatical questions, he ususally doesnot
say much, but most of the time, his answers ARE considered canon.

> completely “family-friendly” way to introduce some of the vocabulary we
> lack.  He was receptive to that, and also mentioned that now he has
> retired he isn’t quite as concerned about the need to be “family-friendly.”

You mean words of bodily functions?

> I would say nIHwIj ghop ‘the hand of my right side’ and he said “I would
> do that too,” making a dissatisfied face about the alternative nIH
> ghopwIj ‘my hand of the right side.’

Now, THAT is definitely a canon information to be added to our dictionaries.

maj!

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh