[Tlhingan-hol] this / that as subject

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:35:47 PDT 2014

On 24 September 2014 04:17, Brad Wilson <bmacliam at aol.com> wrote:
> I was thinking that there is no way to use "this" and "that" as nouns except
> as suffixes like {Dochvam / Dochvetlh}.

{Dochvam / Dochvetlh} are what I usually see for “this” and “that”,
respectively.

> Then I thought that a sentence like "This is my ship" might be rendered as
> {DujwIj 'oHvam}.

I think not. In {DujwIj 'oH}, the {'oH} is acting as a verb, in my
opinion, so it can only take verbal suffixes—you could say {DujwIj
'oHbej}, for example, or {DujwIj 'oHbe'}.

I would recommend {DujwIj 'oH Dujvam'e'}.

And even if {'oH} were acting as a noun, {'oHvam} would mean *“this
it” (as opposed to “another it”?), which would make little sense to
me.

Cheers,
Philip
--