[Tlhingan-hol] Expect the unexpected

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:54:06 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

>   reH 'elI'jaH yIpIH(taH)!
>   Always expect the unexpected visitor!
>
> Note the homonym {pIH} "be suspicious", suggesting {reH yIpIH(taH)}
> "Always be suspicious" - good advice for any Klingon.

This inspired my suggestions:

     DapIHbe'chugh, yIpIH. (simple and straightforward)
     DapIHbe'chugh, yIpIHnISqu'! (more poetic, almost rhymes)

I like these because {yIpIH} is ambiguous, so the meaning changes depending
on the context.
1. "If you don't expect it, expect it." (A warning to be ready for
whatever's about to happen.)
2. "If you didn't expect it, be suspicious." (Advice for dealing with an
unforeseen circumstance.)

bI'reng