[Tlhingan-hol] Expect the unexpected

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Wed Sep 17 10:06:06 PDT 2014

> I told him to try a nice Klingon proverb, for instance from TKW. What would you suggest?

{Hoch nuH yIqel.}
{Hoch nuH Daqelpu''a'?}

> {Doch'e' pIHbe'lu'bogh yIpIH.}

While I think this works, I wonder if {Doch} is the best word to use here. Usually, that which is unexpected is an event, or a situation. Or, to be as general as possible: {vay'}

I would also consider moving it all into the first person, and playing a bit woth aspect:

{wanI' DapIHpu'be'bogh yIpIH.}
"Expect something which you won't have expected."

This - to me, at least - suggests that the speaker is not saying you should be prepared for every possible outcome; rather, you should be generally prepared to deal with situations you won't specifically be prepared for.

If the rhetorical paradox is not necessary, one might also rephrase this as:

{Damerlu' 'e' yIpIH.}

Also worth considering is modeling it after the sentence {Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'.}
However, as has been noted elsewhere, this may be considered controversial: http://www.speers.nu/Holtej/klingon/faq.htm#3.7