[Tlhingan-hol] "Knitting" in Klingon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 29 07:02:34 PDT 2014

For Walter Scotts’ and the Tholians’ “tangled web”, I should think so as the imagery is the same.  For the medical term probably not. What TOS Federation doctors call a bone-knitter, bone-knitting laser or bone regenerator the Klingons call a {petqaD} (etymology unknown):

  The surgeon typically injects a combined stimulant and pain killer,
 before using a {petqaD} to bond broken bones in place and a dermal
 regenerator to suture any wounds. Typical turnaround times allow
 an injured crewman to return to his post within seven minutes.
  [Bird-of-Prey Haynes Manual, p. 107]

Cf. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bone-knitting_laser and http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bone_regenerator