[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: povjaj

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 18:55:46 PDT 2014

'Maltz said he once heard about a non-Klingon who reported that Klingons said
"Tuesday" when expressing their wish that something turn out well. He said the
writer of that report misunderstood. The expression is indeed {povjaj}, but it
means "may it be excellent" and only coincidentally is it homophonous (my word,
not Maltz's) with the word for Tuesday." (Marc Okrand; printed in the exercise
book of qepHom wa'maH cha' [11/07/2013])

I just realized why this sounded familiar.
pIj <Popeye>vo' tlhob <Wimpy>
jatlh Wimpy: povjaj Huch qanobqang DaHjaj, jIHvaD Ha'DIbaH ghIH tIr ngogh je Daje'chugh.
jatlh Popeye: povjaj.