[Tlhingan-hol] "A Klingon Christmas Carol" trailer

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 25 13:53:01 PST 2014

On 11/25/2014 4:39 PM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 25.11.2014 um 21:58 schrieb SuStel:
>>> repeated in TKD:
>>> "I told you: don't interrupt me" {qaja'pu': HIqaghQo'}
>>
>> None of those have an explicit noun or pronoun object on them.
>
> Oh, now I see what you mean. So you search for a "visible" object and
> not just one suggested by the suffix.

Exactly. We know, for example, that the prefix trick allows {qajatlh}
even though we also know that the direct object of {jatlh} is the thing
said or the language spoken. {qajatlh} doesn't mean "I speak you," it
means "I speak to you." Because we know {SoH} is not an appropriate
object for {jatlh}, the prefix trick lets us indicate an indirect object
with the object portion of the verb prefix.

> paq'batlh seems to have enough.

Indeed, it would seem to clinch it.

As for a "muddy" meaning: I see {ja'} as meaning "deliver information,
often verbally" while {jatlh} means "make vocal language noises."
Sometimes they can be used interchangeably, sometimes not. This is not a
deficiency in the language.

http://www.trimboli.name/