[Tlhingan-hol] Words from "The Klingon Art of War"

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 02:32:04 PST 2014

Just an idea: perhaps {gheb} in no' Hol or any other early form of Klingon
referred not to the instrument, but to something crooked, horn-like,
perhaps even an animal's horn itself, and is now only used for the musical
instrument (or we simply don't know that it can also be used for the
animal's part). Thus, {QIn gheb} (spearhead horn) could have come from that
word directly, and not via the meaning of the musical instrument.

Another possibility is that the {gheb} indeed referred to a spear with a
crooked horn originally, and because of the shape the musical instrument
got the same name. After the crooked spear fell out of use, the musical
instrument was the main object named {gheb} and to distinguish it from he
old-fashioned spear, {QIn} was added to the latter.

Of course, this is only speculation.
- André