[Tlhingan-hol] Seeking a paragraph's translation

DataPacRat datapacrat at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 11:56:46 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
>> The current draft of the English version reads: "My name is Daniel
>> Eliot Boese. I was born in the city of Winnipeg on the twelfth day of
>> October in the year 1976 AD. I live about ten miles west of Niagara
>> Falls. I like to read a lot and to hike. When I die, my blood will be
>> removed and replaced with a substance that does not make ice crystals,
>> and then my body will be made very cold. I would like to live and to
>> read and to hike again. If you know how to heal me and help me to
>> live, please do so. Thank you for your time."
>
> [I'm not going to translate names. Unless you customarily introduce
> yourself as "God is my judge" in English, translating it as if it were
> a generic Hebrew word is not appropriate.]

(That's fine. Transliteration into the nearest available Klingon
sounds, as was done with the other translation, will work out well.
I'm mildly curious if there's a large enough collision between the
names and Klingon words for any puns; and also if there's any
consensus on whether it's more communicative and/or accurate to say
'My name is Dan Boese' versus 'I am Dan, son of Brian, of the house of
Boese'.)

> Daniel Eliot Boese jIH.
> tera' DIS wa' Hut Soch jav, jar wa'maH, jaj wa'maH cha' jIboghpu'.

Is there any particular reason for listing the digits of the year
individually, instead of treating it as a number?

> jIH chanDaq chorgh qelI'qam 'oH Niagara bIQqoj chuq'e'.
> jIlaD 'ej jIyIt 'e' vIparHa'qu'.
> jIHeghDI', 'IwwIj qa' chuch qut lIngbe'bogh taS'e' ghIq porghwIj bIrqu'moHlu'.
> jIyInqa' 'ej jIlaDqa' 'ej jIyItqa' vIneH.
> chovormeH mIw DaSovchugh 'ej choyInqa'moHlaHchugh, yIruch.
> choqImmo'pu' qatlho'.

(If I could set up a separate .sig file for this mailing list, I'd
steal that last line for my standard quote. :)  )

> "I am Daniel Eliot Boese.
>  I was born day twelve of month ten of Terran year 1976.
>  Niagara watercliff's range is eight kellicams to the east of me.
>  I really like to read and to walk.
>  When I die, a fluid which does not produce ice crystal replaces my
> blood and my body is caused to be very cold.
>  I want to resume living and to resume reading and to resume walking.
>  If you know a procedure for you to cure me and if you can make me
> resume living, go ahead.
>  Because you have paid attention to me I thank you."
>
> Is there any more detail that you want the word "hike" to evoke?
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

In English, I used the word 'hike' instead of 'walk' since it implies
'walk, long distances, through forests and wilderness, for pleasure';
but since a lot of languages don't contain such a term, falling back
to simple 'walk' is what I generally expect.

Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Then again, I could be wrong."/<<choqImmo'pu' qatlho'.>>