[Tlhingan-hol] Juggling

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Nov 1 15:19:02 PDT 2014

Some good thoughts. I agree that jaD feels like the wrong word here, but there is a description in KGT (where the word was first defined) which [vaguely] suggests this could perhaps also refer to targeted throwing:

== KGT, page 91 ====
(Note that {Soj woD} ["He/she throws the food away"], which refers to a regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD} ["He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile"], which, under certain circumstances, is considered a reasonable pastime.)

To me, this sounds like it could either be somebody just throwing it all about and making a mess, but it could also perhaps involve throwing it at specific dinner guests.

If one were to use a weapon-related term, I think {baQ} may be the best alternative: "toss bat'leth from one hand to the other"
Still, even if this could be applied to balls, it doesn't really give me the sense that they're doing anything particularly acrobatic with the balls; it kind of sounds like one is just passing the ball from one hand to another, as one often does only as an intermediate step between the more majestic, arced throws.

In paq'batlh, {vo'} ("propel") is used to describe Morath throwing his father's sword into a lake (Lake Lusor? Or was it the Kri'stak volcano?).
I think this could potentially be useful, but one would still need some way to specify that one isn't just throwing the balls away.
{vo' ghIq vo'Ha'}? {vo' ghIq Hev}? {vo' ghIq Suqqa'}? {vo' 'ej He le' ghoSchu'meH Dev}?

jISovbe'.