[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: juv

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Tue May 6 19:37:06 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:

> pIj muD DujwIjDaq <'Iv juvwI'wIj> vIqel.

'Iv cha' 'Iv juvwI'lIj, 'ach nuq juv?
jaS 'Iv pImDaq 'uymo' muD, Qap 'Iv juvwI'.
Doch'e' juvbogh 'Iv juvwI' chay' wIpong?
chaq <muD 'uytaHghach> 'oH pong'e'.

ghorDaq tIH tlhuD 'op 'Iv juvwI'.
chaq <'Iv HotlhwI'> 'oH janvam pong'e'.
'Iv HotlhwI' ghajbe'ba' muD DujlIj.
ghaytan <Cessna> 'oH muD DujlIj'e'.

More related words for things that can be measured:

'Iv   altitude (n)

?{'uytaHghach} pressure (n)

jen   be high (v)

What does anyone think of my suggested term for pressure? Naturally, I am
uncomfortable using {-ghach} but it seems to fit. If it's acceptable, I
think "thrust" (as caused by a reaction motor) would be ?{yuvtaHghach}, and
not a word based on {ghoS} or {jop}, which have to do with hand weapons. A
word for "measurement" might be ?{juvlI'ghach} for the practice of
measurement (-lI'- due to the deliberate nature of the activity) or maybe
better {juvwI' QeD} or {juvmeH QeD}.

I am stumped for a word for "measurement" meaning the quantity that is
recorded or displayed on a screen.

'eD
--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/