[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: juv

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Tue May 6 07:11:38 PDT 2014

Words relating to measurement (and counting, which is related) are of
interest to me with my background in engineering and scale modeling. Not to
step on Voragh's bootspike, here are some more.

chaDvay’ radio frequency, Hertz (unit of frequency) (presumably equal to
lup^-1) (n)
cheb unit of weight (or mass?), about 5 lb or 2.25 kg (n)
cheb’a’ 9 cheb = about 45 lb or 20.25 kg (n)
DarSeq darsek (unit of currency) (n)
DeQ credit (unit of currency) (n)
DIS year (Klingon) (n)
Hogh week (Klingon) (n)
jaj day (from dawn to dawn) (n)
jar month (Klingon) (n)
loghqam unit of length, about 1.25 light years (n)
lup second (of time) (n)
mI’ number (n)
pIq time period from now (n)
poH period of time (n)
qav’ap value, amount (of money) (n)
qelI’qam kellicam (unit of length), about 2 km (n)
rep hour (Klingon unit of time, presumably) (n)
tup minute (of time) (Klingon unit of time, presumably) (n)
ret time period ago (n)
tlhaq chronometer, clock
tlho’ren unit of volume, about 1 quart or 1 liter (n)
’uj unit of length, about 13.75" or 35 cm (n)
’uj’a’ 9 uj = about 10'4" or 315 cm (n)

mach be small (v)
ngaj be short (in duration) (v)
nI’ be long, be lengthy (duration) (v)
poH time (presumably meaning to measure duration, as with a stopwatch) (v)
run be short (in stature) (v)
tIn be big (v)
tIq be long, be lengthy (of an object) (v)
tIS be light (weight) (v)
togh count (v)
woch be tall (v)
’ugh be heavy (v)

We know a lot of Klingon words relating to measurement, but the only one
for a measuring device I could think of is {tlhaq}. Perhaps equivalents to
ruler or yardstick are ?{'uj naQ} and ?{'uj'a' naQ}. I believe a
measurement device in general would be called {juvmeH jan}.

~'eD

--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
My other modeling blog:  http://bellerophon.blog.com/