[Tlhingan-hol] Canon for answering negative questions

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Mon May 5 14:47:14 PDT 2014

Expanding on something SuStel wrote:
>>> Klingon can't be misunderstood this way because it combines the "is-not" with the "not-qualified" into a single word, "not-is-qualified."

A) Isn't the man qualified?
B) Is the man not qualified?
C) Is the man unqualified?
Being that {'um} is a "verb of state", it may turn on the use of {-Ha'} or {-be'}, or perhaps some more complicated.
I would equate B=C, and possibly say {'umHa''a' loD?}, although it's been pointed out that this would likely mean he was qualified once, and now is not.
To me, {'umbe''a' loD?} is A.
gheyIl