[Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

johnny at nerdist.com johnny at nerdist.com
Thu Mar 27 10:15:38 PDT 2014

Please remove me from this mailing list

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bellerophon, modeler" <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:38pm
To: "tlhingan-hol at kli.org" <tlhingan-hol at kli.org>
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 4, with credits

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM, SuStel <[mailto:sustel at trimboli.name] sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
As time goes on I am less and less convinced that the dictionary glosses
 are meant to show us appropriate objects.

I think it comes down to this: Klingons will use an object whenever the
 subject performs the verb on the object, regardless of our English
 gloss, and as long as it's clear what it meant.Non-native English speakers particularly have trouble with the idiomatic way we often paper over the verb-object relation with a preposition. But we have no trouble understanding what is meant by "I participate conference," or "I participate for conference." Klingon hasn't had a lot of time for usages to develop, but one recent example that made me smile is that the qepHom is still called that even though it has gotten bigger than the qep'a'.
What about {Qoch} & {Qochbe'}? This came up a few months ago regarding use of sentence-as-object for the matter agreed upon: whether it was correct usage to say ?{maQoch 'e' wIQochbe'}. Would you object to this usage? Also an object could logically be the person (dis)agreed with, as in ?{muQoch matlh}. But would a Klingon would tolerate an imprecise construction like ?{maHIvrup 'e' Qoch matlh jIH je} when it would be just as easy to state who thinks what: {maHIvrup 'e' Qub matlh. jIQoch}?
~'eD
--
My modeling blog:          [http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/] http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
 My other modeling blog:  [http://bellerophon.blog.com/] http://bellerophon.blog.com/