[Tlhingan-hol] KLI Website

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Tue Mar 25 08:04:53 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> That's what I have already said to Lawrence in person, and also on the
> discussion on facebook: We have many people willing to help, but it will
> certainly not be possible to get a complete identical looking look of the
> pages.

It's very easy to have all the pages look the same using CSS and a basic
framework like Twitter Bootstrap (as Brent suggested). The KLI just needs
to decide which way they want to do things and then have everyone stick to
that. For some examples of what can be done with CSS, Bootstrap and jQuery
checkout https://wrapbootstrap.com/. There's even bootstrap plugins for
MediaWiki, so the theme could be carried over to that system as well.

> This may have many reasons:
> - different ways of programming give different looks

If there is a style guide and standardized CSS there won't be any issues
with this, as long as people are using standard HTML5. If a theme is
defined, then everyone can use the same building blocks to construct their
parts of the site. If the site uses some kind of CMS, then it's even easier
to keep things looking the same.

> - software restrictions might make several things not possible

As a programmer I don't believe in "software restrictions". Anything is
possible if someone is willing to code it. :)

Most CMS packages have plugin support. Recently I developed several plugins
for WordPress, including one for the KAG site that shows club specific
information like rank, ship, etc directly on a user's profile. We could
have a section of the site that contains profiles for all the KLI members,
maybe listing which KLCP levels have been passed, roles held (BG, etc),
ability to proctor tests, qepHom's being hosted, works translated, etc.

> - some people just prefer their own design and would remain separate from
> the KLI-project, and that would be the largest problem, losing great
> sources.

This will always be an issue. There will always be people who prefer to do
it their own way, but I don't see this as an issue. If enough people are
working on the KLI-project, then any information the separate site could
provide should already be on the KLI site (even if it's just C&P'ed into a
Wiki).

> I do understand Lawrence' idea, but I'm not sure it's doable. Or maybe I'm
> still thinking wrong about it :-)

It's very doable if everyone works together as a team with a single, well
defined goal in mind. What we need is someone with strong project
management skills who has experience coordinating projects of this type and
scale.

> PS: I still have in mind my idea of KLI-approved sites; Lawrence thinks
> this might be second step, but in my opinion it should be the first step,
> because that's easier to start with: add a page on top of the kli.orgsaying "search for KLI approved sites" and it gives you lots of high
> quality klingon websites.

KLI Approved sites are great, once the KLI has solidified it's brand. Once
a new site is setup we can define a process for submitting and approving
KLI Approved Websites, so the process could be managed online by an
individual or group of people.

 qurgh