[Tlhingan-hol] The Legend of Gorath part 2

Brad Wilson bmacliam at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 08:39:07 PDT 2014

Grandfather: Gorath was a young warrior. Not much older than yourself. He had never fought in a battle, but he called himself a warror. He was venturing to his uncle’s house to learn the betleH travelling on the road to Kalmuth. There were 2 bandits waiting for him – Krek & Grack.

vavnI': SuvwI' Qup ghaH ghoratlh. loQ ghaH qan law' SoH qan puS.{1} not vIqDaq Suv 'a SuvwI' pong'egh. tennuSDaj qachDaq betleH ghojmeH qalmetlh lurghDaq ve'taH. lughach cha' nIHwI'.  qIreq ghareq je bIH pongmeychaj.

{1} Can we use pronouns in comparatives? He is more Q than you.
{1} Can we use comparatives with verbs? He is older than you.

Boy: I know all about Krek & Grack. They were the funny old beggars that took Kahless in when he took ill from the…

loDHom: jIHvaD noy qIreq ghareq je. tlhaQbogh 'ej qanbogh qoy'wI'pu' chaH. ropchoHDI' qeylIS qachchajDaq lulaj.

Grandfather: Yes, yes, but that’s a different story. This is before they became beggars when they were bandits on the road.

vavnI': lu', lu', pIm lutvetlh. qoy'wI'pu' mojpu'pa' qaS lutvam. lutvamDaq nIHwI' chaH.

Krek: I see a lone traveler.
qIreq: nIteb yItlI'bogh lengwI' vIlegh.
Grack: Is he alone?
ghIraq: mob'a'?
Krek: Yes he’s alone, you fool. What did you think I meant by “a lone”.
qIreq: HIja' mob. qoH SoH. <nIteb> Dayajbe''a'?
Grack: Don’t call me a fool. You’re the fool.
ghIraq: qoH HIpongQo'. qoH SoHchu'.
Krek: No, you’re the fool.
qIreq: ghobe'. qoH SoH.
Grack: Just be silent and come down. Tonight we eat well.
ghIraq: neH yItam 'ej yIghIr. DaHjajram {2} maSopchu'qu'.
Krek: I need some help here.
qIreq: jIghIrmeH choQaHnIS.

{2} Originally I had {DaHram}, but after feedback from facebook group, changed to {DaHjaj ram}
{note} I translated Krek as {qIreq} and Grack as {ghIraq} throughout.

Gorath: Who’s there?
ghoratlh: pa'Daq 'Iv?
Grack: Greetings, young warrior.
ghIraq: SuvwI’ qan pIvan.
Krek: Greetings. Lost your way, have you?
qIreq: qavan. ghochlIj DaSovbe' qar'a'?
Gorath: I know my way.
ghoratlh: ghochwIj vISov.
Grack: The road to Kalmuth can be a dangerous place, young warrior.
ghIraq: Qoblaw' qalmutlh {3} leng SuvwI' qan.
Krek: You never know what could happen to you.
qIreq: DuqaSlaH vay' 'e' not vISov
Grack: You could get robbed…
ghIraq: DuHejlaH vay'…
Krek: …or worse.
qIreq: …qoj HeghmoHlaH vay'
Gorath: Yes, and that is why I carry this. [He shows his bat'leth] Now step aside and let me pass.
ghoratlh: HIja'. jIHub'eghmeH Dochvam vIqeng. [betleHDaj 'agh] DaH penech 'ej jIjuS 'e' yIchaw'.

{3} I translated Kalmuth as {qalmutlh} throughout.

Here ends part 2

gheyIl