[Tlhingan-hol] Last X and testament?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 10 06:33:39 PDT 2014

Everyone has made some good points, but as QeS pointed out: he's translating an existing text about an alien (at least, to the Klingons) culture.  He needs a word or phrase to use repeatedly, after having been explained in a footnote to the Klingon reader who may be unfamiliar with the concept of a will and testament.

You might be able to do something with {chaw'} "permit, ticket, card, deed" (n) - although it does seem to imply a document issued by a higher authority.  Known examples:

cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

nuqDaq chaw' vIje'
Where can I buy a ticket? (TNK)

chaw'vam yIpol 'ej SIbI'Ha' yIlo' pagh 'oH yImech
This card may be kept until needed or traded. MKE

HIjmeH chaw'
stamp TNK

Huch chaw'
credit card TNK

leng chaw'
passport TNK

yer ghajwI' chaw'
title deed (MKE)

  cha'maH chorgh yer ghajwI' chaw' 'echletHommey
  28 Title Deed cards. MKE

'elmeH chaw'
ticket (WSC)

 'elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
  will-call tickets (WSC)

And speaking of official documents, how about just {ghItlh Qav} "final manuscript" which can be referred to as simply {ghItlh} "the manuscript, the document", {ghItlhvetlh}, {ghithvam}, etc. after it's been introduced (and explained)?  Are there any other manuscripts that play an important role in the story?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons