[Tlhingan-hol] before now

Fiat Knox fiat_knox at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 03:02:19 PST 2014

Hence my other choice of qaSpa' poHvambefore this time had occurred ...

wejnot yetinfers that the moment of transition has not occurred yet, but the before nowconstruction indicates that the moment of transition is in the past: it has already happened. wej not yet could be used, but I'd recommend that you use the perfective suffix -pu' on
the verb describing action that you had not yet done, so as to indicate the point of transition having been in the past, and not still to come in the future.

qaSpu' poHvam not tera'ngan vISuvBeforethis moment, I had never fought a Terran.
wej tera'ngan vISuvpu'I had not yet fought a Terran. You could also say I had yet to fight a Terran.

The wej not yetconstruction also infers that the event had been on the cards all along - the person was aware that he was going to write that manuscript, or fight a Terran. notnevertends to lean towards a more stochastic approach - there had been no plans to write manuscripts or fight Terrans: but hey, stuff happens.

De'vID: