[Tlhingan-hol] Beginner Story excerpt

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun Jun 29 20:05:24 PDT 2014

I am almost finished the first draft of the online Klingon course. For the
final lesson I decided to write exercise sentences that reviewed all 512
vocabulary words. (The so-called 500 words do not include the eight
conjunctions or four question words on the syllabus). It turns out that I
can't write more than about ten sentences without it turning into a story.

So, what I present to you here is the first two 'ay'Hommey of a 1200 word
story that includes all the beginner level grammar and vocabulary and ONLY
the beginner level grammar and vocabulary. Notably this excludes the V5
suffix -lu', all V7 suffixes, all V9s except for -'a', the noun-noun
construction, stative verbs used adjectivally, many verb prefixes and the
imperative mood.

I haven't decided how to show the speech text online, the angle brackets are
just a quick add in to make it readable now. The odd paragraphing is because
it started out as a series of translation exercises before it got weird.

The story does not yet have a title. I have included a translation of each
section after that section. Is there anything here that strikes you as odd
(rather than just simple)? Would anyone like to see more?

1.
tera'Daq, juHvo' veQ qeng be'.
'ughqu' veQ.
Doy'choH be' 'ej lojmItDaq leS.
be' vIchol.

jIjatlh, <Dochvetlh DawoDbej'a'?>

jatlh be', <HIja', quSHeyvam vIneHbe'. 'IHbe' 'ej lI'be'. let 'ej 'uSwIj
'oy'moH. 'oHmo' maQuchbe' jIH, loDnalwI', puqloDwI', puqbe'wI', SoSwI' je.
par je Sajmaj. vIghoDqa'laHbe' pa'wIjDaq ratlhbe'nIS>.

(translation)
On Earth a woman carries garbage out of a home.
The garbage is very heavy.
The woman gets tired and rests at the gate.
I draw near the woman.
I say, "Will you really throw that thing away?"
The woman says, "Yes, I don't want that thing that I think is a chair.
It is not attractive and it is not useful.
It is hard and hurts my leg.
I, my husband, my son, my daughter and my mother are unhappy because of it.
Our pet dislikes it, too.
I cannot restuff it.
It needs to not remain in my room."

2.
jIjatlh, <ghorgh Daje'?>
jang be'. jatlh, <qoSwIjmo' qem vavnI'wI'.
qan ghaH 'ej maw'choHlaw'.
ghaH vISaHqu' 'a nobDaj vIpolrupbe'.>
jIjatlh, <vItlhapqang. chochaw''a'?>
ja' be', <qachaw'bejqu'.>
qorDu'Daj chegh be' 'ej lojmIt SoQmoH.
jIbelqu'.
jIHoS.
pov qachwIjDaq veQqoq vIqeng.
lam 'oH.
vISay'moH.
jISeychoH.
le' quSqoqvam 'ej QoblaH.
Qobmo' jIyepqu'.
jIQaghbe'nIS.

2. (translation)
I say, When did you buy it?
The woman answers. She says, "My grandfather brought it because of my
birthday.
He is old and I think going crazy.
I care a lot about him, but I am not prepared to keep his gift."
I say, "I am willing to take it away. Will you permit me?"
The woman says, "I absolutely definitely permit you."
The woman returns to her family and closes the door.
I am very pleased.
I am strong.
In the afternoon I carry the so-called garbage to my building.
It is dirty.
I clean it.
I become excited.
This so-called chair is special and can be dangerous.
I am very careful because of the danger.
I need to not make an error.