[Tlhingan-hol] friend of Maltz

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Jun 28 09:40:16 PDT 2014

Am 28.06.2014 18:11, schrieb BT Yahoo!:
> This seems to be a case of an established fanon being contradicted by later new canon.
[...]
> How does Tlhingan-hol email group accomodate that?

Well, depending on who you ask, there is no problem of canonicity. There
are many people (like on Memory Alpha) who only accept "canon" as what
is seen on screen, and TKD is "only" considered background artwork, just
like many other books. So from their point of view, Maltz has definitely
been captured by Kirk, but nobody has ever said that it was him who
tought Klingon to the federation.

Even ging a step further, we have no evidence that Okrand is talking
about that specific same Maltz (although it should be obvious)

Anyway, I think I can speak for the entire group when I say that we have
no problem with this being canon or not; Maltz is a synonym for Marc
Okrand, who created the Klingon language, wrote it down in his TKD and
that's the language we are learning. In this group of people, it's an
agreement to only accept words from Okrand.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh