[Tlhingan-hol] emphasizing noun suffixes

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 06:41:31 PDT 2014

But then you are saying that nouns would work differently from verbs in
Klingon. We know that in Klingon verbs the suffixes do not necessarily
describe "everything to the left of it", {-nIS} goes to slot 2 and means
'need to', {-laH} goes to slot 5 and means 'be able to', but {jIlaDnISlaH}
can still mean 'I need to be able to read' and not (necessarily) 'I am able
to need to read', which is a possible interpretation, but simply doesn't
make much sense, semantically. So in verbs, suffixes mainly refer back to
the verb in general. Rovers are an exception, their scopus is on whatever
comes left to them.

I don't see a reason why nouns should work differently in Klingon.
{jaghpu'na'} means that the concept ENEMY is modified to mean plurality and
definiteness. So it's more than one enemy, and they're definite. The {-na'}
could refer to the enemy-ness alone. So {jaghpu'na'} can mean specifiy that
it's definitely sure that we're talking about someone hostile, but it might
not be as sure that it's many of them. {jaghpu'na'} only confirms with
certainty that it's enemies, not necessarily that they are many.

In short: It's not true that non-rover suffixes say something about all
that comes before them.

I was going to say that all non-rover suffixes refer just back to the
original verb or noun stem, but that might not be true either.

- André