[Tlhingan-hol] emphasizing noun suffixes

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 25 02:39:12 PDT 2014

In the facebook group "learn klingon", somebody asked if he could flip
the suffix order to say "definitely MY ship" because {Dujna'wIj} is
ambiguous and may mean something else, like "my DEFINITE ship".

Someone else said "if you get a chance to ask Okrand, then do it". So I
did.  :-)

Briefly, the answer to the question is by stressing the syllable. Here's
the message:
http://www.qephom.de/e/message_from_maltz_140624.html
-----------
Maltz said there's no noun suffix that works like the verb suffix {-qu'}
to emphasize or highlight whatever immediately precedes it. That is,
there are no rovers for nouns. The placement is fixed. He pointed out
that {Dujmeyna'} means "definitely ships" or "undoubtedly ships." It
doesn't necessarily mean "a number of ships and not just one" even
though {-na'} follows {-mey}.

It turns out it's a little more complicated or subtle, however.

The word {jaghpu'na'} could mean "definitely enemies" (that is, there's
no question that those people you're talking about are enemies and not
friends or neutral parties or whatever), but, in the proper context, it
could also mean "definitely (several or a lot of) enemies," focusing on
the group or plurality.

Going back to {Duj}, the context might be:

    Speaker #1: Duj Dalegh'a'?

    Speaker #2: Dujmeyna' vIlegh.

"Do you see a ship/ships?" (In English, I have to indicate singular or
plural; in Klingon, of course, it's ambiguous or unstated.)

"I see what is unquestionably a bunch of ships." ({-mey} makes the
plurality explicit, but {-na'} emphasizes the plurality: There's no
doubt that there's not just one ship out there!)

For the possessive suffixes, however, this doesn't work. {jaghna'lI'}
means "definitely your enemy (and not your friend, etc.)." It doesn't
specifically mean "definitely your enemy (and not mine)."

He said if you want to emphasize the possessor, just give it extra
stress when saying the word: {DujlIj} (or DujlIj or DujlIj or DujlIj or
DujLIJ or however you want to transcribe it -- I'm not sure whether
italics and bold and all of that will show up for you).

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh