[Tlhingan-hol] A Challenge to the group

Ruben Molina rmolina at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:32:27 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2014 17:06, schrieb lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com:
>
> Does anyone have a prepared list of words with multiple meanings?
> I'm sure there is somebody :- )

The dict.zdb file at klingonska uses numbers in order to mark
different meanings as in:

tlh: [1] {baQ}
pos: verb
en: be <fresh>, be just picked (fruit, vegetable)

and

tlh: [2] {baQ}
pos: verb
en: <toss> «~bat'leth~» from one hand to the other

therefore it is trivial to parse it in order to create the word list...

Although this is not  exactly what you need, a few days ago I used the
dict.zdb file in order to prepare a list of nouns that can be parsed
as verbs.  The list excludes words that are written exactly the same
for noun and verb, like {bach} "shoot (v), shot (n)", and obviously
excludes verbs ending with {-wI'} and {-ghach}...

** There is one noun that can be parsed as as a verb plus a  type 1
suffix: {ja'chuq}. Both meanings are are related. See:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Rite_of_Succession
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/ja'chuq

** There is one noun that can be parsed as as a verb plus a  type 2
suffix: {yIvbeH}.  Meanings are are unrelated, although I can imagine
one can design an "interactive t-shirt"
(http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/) with a buzzer
or something, created for the purpose of being annoying... then you
could {yIvbeH yIvbeH} "set up the t-shirt to annoy"...

** There are two nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a type 3
suffix and they both include the suffix {qa'}:  {tlhapqa'} and
{velqa'}.

I reported {tlhapqa'} as a bug. This is obviously the verb {tlhap} +
{-qa'} "take again" so it should be listed as a verb.

Now... for {velqa'}... uhm... let's see...

  juHwIj tlhoy' vel nagh beQ.
  nagh beQ nIHchugh vay',
  tlhoy' velqa'meH velqa' Dalo’laH.
  'e' vItu'Qo'.

a stone panel (artwork) covers a wall of my home
if someone steals the stone panel,
he can use a replica in order to cover the wall again
I won't notice.

uhmmm... not a joke, but {velqa'meH velqa'} might be confusing...

I haven't tested the remaining words, but here they are:

** There are five nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a type 6 suffix:
{Heghba'}, {meqba'}, {ngeHbej}, {Sotlaw'}, {teblaw'}

** There are three nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a type 6 suffix:
{HablI'}, {jonta'}, {lIngta'}

** There are seven nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a type 9
suffix (except {-wI} and {-ghach}):
{ghom'a'}, {jolpa'}, {qa'meH}, {qempa'}, {Qulpa'}, {van'a'}, {vutpa'}

** There are two nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a rover:
{cha'qu'}, {tey'be'}

** There are nine nouns that can be parsed as a verb plus a prefix:
{DIron}, {DIvI'}. {DuSaQ}, {ghotI'}, {lulIgh}, {nIpon}, {nural},
{pIqaD}, {qama'}

regards,
ruben