[Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:36:01 PST 2014

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Oh, that's a good question. I don't know, but I'll ask. I intend to reply to
> Dr. Okrand's mail with some questions of my own, so if anyone else has
> noticed anything missing from the list or which needs to be clarified,
> please let me know.

jang naHQun, jatlh:
> The generic word for "shape".
>
> Possibly even "diamond", "heart", "oval", "semi-circle", and "crescent".

"Semicircle" seems easily done with {bID gho} (as opposed to {gho bID}, which I would interpret as "half of the circle" - which is still a semicircle, but implies that it has a matching half). A diamond is a special case of a {loS reD mey'}.

"Heart" is heavily culturally bound and probably not something Klingons have a word for. The heart shape doesn't come from a human heart's shape; it's been speculated that it comes rather from the shape of a fig or ivy leaf, or alternately, from the seeds of a now-extinct plant called silphium by the Romans.

QeS