[Tlhingan-hol] geometry terminology in Klingon

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:41:43 PST 2014

De'vID:
>> I received an email from Dr. Okrand this morning, which contained a
>> list of vocabulary.
>> [...]
>> star (not in sky) - DujtlhuQ

qurgh lungqIj:
> How would we differentiate between stars with different number of points
(or ship tails)?

> Following the example of mey', perhaps:
>
> vagh QIn DujtlhuQ, Soch QIn DujtlhuQ, .... ?

Oh, that's a good question. I don't know, but I'll ask. I intend to reply
to Dr. Okrand's mail with some questions of my own, so if anyone else has
noticed anything missing from the list or which needs to be clarified,
please let me know.

The questions the list has raised for me so far:
* How does one distinguish between, say, a pentadecagon (15-sided polygon)
and 10 pentagons? {wa'maH vagh reD mey'} could be either.
* How does one say, or indicate, the concept of a right angle? (I think
{DonHa'} would work for this, but I want to hear it from Maltz.)
* What about scalene triangles?
* Whether the general way to say a "regular" polygon (one with equal sides
and angles) is {tIQ}.
* How to say "solid" (the three-dimensional analogue to a polygon).
* Is {Dop} the word for "face" of a polygon (because it's used to indicate
the face of a card in Klingon Monopoly).