[Tlhingan-hol] qoH SuS je bopbogh lut'e'

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 03:21:31 PST 2014

ghItlhpu' nIqolay, jatlh:
> we have a word for "brick" and not one for "mortar".

vIjangpu' jIH, jIjatlh:
> Well... no, not strictly. {ngogh} is really more "block" or "chunk" than
> "brick" specifically; we've seen it used to describe, among other things,
> pillows and loaves of bread.

mujang je ghaH, jatlh:
> True. I wanted to preserve the "stone and ____" structure of the
> sentence and couldn't think of any other existing words that could be
> conceivably be used in a wall,

Two alternatives spring to mind. The only other specific construction material item we have is {majyang} "tile". But there is also {baS} "metal"; ancient societies on Earth would often stabilise stone constructions with metal clamps or staples between blocks.

nIqolay:
> ben law' QInlat veng ghoS jevbogh muD.

jIH:
> Hm. I'm not overly comfortable with {muD} to mean a specific weather
> phenomenon - only the weather in general. {jevbogh SuS} is probably all you
> need here.

nIqolay:
> I thought that the implicit subject for weather verbs was {muD},

Well, we really don't know that. There is an interesting example of usage from the paq'batlh:

chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw
"while the soldiers' blood rained upon them"
(paq'raD 13.15)

taH:
> {muD} does seem more like it should apply to a general condition of
> being stormy, rather than a specific weather system considered as a
> single entity that could approach a place.

Yes, that was my thought too.

> (It makes me wish that there really was a noun for {jev}.)

Why not recast: {ben law' QInlat vengDaq tugh jevchoH} "many years ago, at the city of Quin'lat, it was soon going to storm". Funnily enough, though, there is a noun "storm" attested in no' Hol:

'ach juqmut wob g'irDet, Dyav q'usru g'ir Dya
"the louder [the hearts] beat, the larger the storm became"
(paq'batlh prologue: 2.5-6)

Here {Dyav q'usru g'ir Dya} means "the storm's strength also increased", where *Dyav "storm" can only be acting as a noun in a noun-noun compound.

QeS