[Tlhingan-hol] KLI-approved websites

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Feb 14 01:25:36 PST 2014

Am 13.02.2014 23:42, schrieb David Trimboli:
> While I like the idea of a portal page leading to Klingon-language
> resources, your terminology needs improvement. Your list of websites is
> not "KLI-approved" and should not be called such.
>
> Barring activity from the actual KLI, what you really need to do is to
> create a new Klingon-language organization.

Hi David,

I understand clearly what your point is, and I even agree more than it
might seem on the first sight.

Anyway, I'd like to explain why I want to contradict:

Those listed sites are indeed not KLI-approved - not yet! It is my
intention that some (not yet specified) group of the KLI checks a
website and then says "that one is okay". More or less as a coincidence,
most of the people capable of doing this, are or have been members of
the KLI, so what's the difference?

Next, we are trying to make a standard for the Klingon language, and if
you like it or not, the KLI has become one. Yes, you are right that the
KLI is only "any group set up but just some random author who had a
funny idea". But the KLI has achieved some acceptance somehow in te
world and if we start to establish our own groups, we have the problem
again of the de-centralisation and any newbie will be confused  by all
the different kinds of "Klingon-language organization".

I'm not saying the KLI is better than any of the following, but how can
a beginner of klingon know the difference and also the quality between

- Klingon Language Institute
- Klingonska Akademien
- Klingon Language Academy
- Klingonisch-Institut
- qepHom.de
- Mr. Klingon
- etc. ??

By the way, I have been thinking about creating my own Klingon-language
organization, but for the above mentioned reasons I did not. My qepHom
is larger than the qep'a',  I may call it a qep'a' (why not?) but I
don't, because I  think that the qep'a' is the KLI's meeting, and I do
not want to take that away. I also do not want to establish a new KLI,
because there IS ONE ALREADY. But it's sleeping and must wake up again.

Anyway, any new klingon club would have the same memebers as the KLI, so
where's the difference?

WE are the KLI; Qov has written a very long and nice explanation few
weeks ago reminding us about that fact:
http://stodi.lojban.org/~clsn/webarchives/2014/January/msg00084.html

--
Lieven L. Litaer