[Tlhingan-hol] What happens if you set your Mac's language to "tlhIngan Hol"?

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. speersd at georgetown.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:05:20 PST 2014

Yes, you can switch your language to tlhIngan Hol.  It actually gives you
this pretty cool warning, asking if you'd like to use Klingon as your
primary language.  You then need to restart for the changes to take effect.

However, once the system comes back up, disappointingly it appears that
nothing has changed.  All of the UI elements (window titles, menus, hints
and other text) are still in English.  Not sure what other side-effects
there might be, but it doesn't seem to actually use any tlhIngan Hol.

I read through the original post, which included a link to download some
fonts.  I downloaded and installed a couple of them, but I'm not seeing any
Klingon characters in the fonts at all.  And just changing the font
wouldn't magically translate the strings from English to Klingon anyway, so
meh.

-- Holtej

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have a Mac, but someone pointed out to me that under "System
> Preferences > Language & Region", you can set your UI to {tlhIngan
> Hol}:
> http://fairerplatform.com/2014/02/mac-klingon-qapla/
> http://imgur.com/irbJrhn
>
> What actually happens if you do this? Anyone with a Mac who can try it out?
>
> --
> De'vID

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D.
speersd at georgetown.edu