[Tlhingan-hol] how to show entries without canon English definitions in word lists?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 06:44:20 PST 2014

In the spirit of that last discussion about slang, how should entries where
the English definition isn't canon, but the Klingon word comes from Okrand,
be shown in word lists?

By far, most words are found in the word list sections of TKD and KGT. Some
are revealed in HolQeD, at qep'a'/qepHom, or on this mailing list, but
almost always the Klingon word is given an English definition or gloss.

However, there are a few where we've had to infer their meanings from their
usage. For example, many of the new words revealed in Klingon Monopoly fall
into this category.

We can be fairly certain that {ngay'} means "glory", and {ghay} means
something like "spray" or "bombard", and we've had long discussions about
{vey}, {'aplo'}, and {qoSta'}. But I think we're less clear on {vabDot} and
{Qej} (at least, I am). And what about constructs like {rop'a'} "plague",
do you have a separate entry for it, or do you consider it an obvious
derivate of {rop}?

For those of you keeping word lists, do you just give your own English
definitions of these words? Is it marked somehow?