[Tlhingan-hol] keeping "KLI folklore" words in word lists

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Dec 15 07:46:28 PST 2014

Am 15.12.2014 um 13:48 schrieb David Trimboli:
> Okay, I would like to add {'ughabugha} "make a point, present an
> argument" to the non-canonical word list. I have said this word.

I agree with SuStel here: The question is that if one includes made up
words in a list, where will you stop? Now we only have these four
"KLI-folklore" words, but what if some group of people will begin using
their own words?

"Extended canon" is one thing, it is written and spread, but an internal
use of a fake word does not make it worth being listed. And if a newbie
will search for it, he will find out that the word does simply NOT
exist. It's not canon.

What if we start to use {'ughabugha} everyday? will it become a slang
term listed in a dictionary? I'm exaggerating, but the danger is that
we'd get a dictionary with more made up words than real canon words.
That's not the purpose of a dictionary.

Someone else wrote:
 > Hence my suggestion of acknowleding that it exists but also
 > declaring it to be wrong.

As SuStel pointed out: there are many non canon words that exist. Shall
we list them all. I think not. In my opinion, every dictionary available
(so not only boQwI') should list the words we have so we can learn
Klingon from it. Do not list words that are fake; We don't see Webster's
dictionary saying "There are some people who call their annual meeting
{qep'a'}, so let's list it as a new english word."

My personal opinion only - of course.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh